My new book, entitled Peak Experiences: Danger, Death and Daring in the Mountains of the Northeast, will be published in fall 2012 by the University Press of New England!
The book is an anthology of over fifty accounts highlighting hazards hiking in the high peaks of the Northeast United States, with commentary about best safety practices. These up-close-and-personal stories include heroic search and rescue operations, record-breaking treks, animal encounters, and challenges in extreme conditions including "poking the sleeping dragon"&—where sometimes the ultimate price is paid&—and other times one escapes more or less intact to tempt fate again. Seven sections include:
- "Weatherwise or Otherwise? Tales above Treeline"
- "Rescues in the Mountains"
- "Another Treacherous Place in the Peaks"
- "Dangers of Water in the Mountains"
- "Animal and Avian Behavior"
- "Unprepared, Leader Lapses, Lost, Bushwhacked and More."